What are SEF URLs?
The pages which are easily found by search engines are considered as a good Search Engine Friendly websites. SEF URLs means “Search Engine Friendly” URLs, Joomla 1.5 provides three different options to build SEF URLs.
Step by Step procedure on how we can achieve SEF URLs through Joomla:
- 1. Firstly, login to your administrative panel that is http://www.xyz.com/administrator/index.php
- 2. In the dashboard page, click on “Global Configuration” Icon
- 3. Which will take you to the “Global Configuration” page, towards your right you can see a panel by named “SEO Settings”. By default, all the respective options would be to “No”
- 4. Firstly, for the “Search Engine Friendly URLs” option, go head and choose “Yes”, by choosing “YES” option – the URL would be changed to something like “http://www.xyz.com/xy/index.php/home/” – If you see you can see “index.php” in the URL [How we can remove this from the URL, for this follow the steps below]
- 5. Secondly, choose “Yes” for “Use Apache mod_rewrite” second option provided, this will remove /index.php/ from the URL only when if you can rename the htaccess.txt file in the root folder to .htaccess. The above scenario would remove /index.php/ from the URL.
- 6. Thirdly, if you want add suffix to your URLs like for example “http://www.xyz.com/xy/home.html” – you have to choose the third option for this, that is choose “Yes” to “Add suffix to URLs” option provided in SEO Settings.
So, the SEO Settings should look like below once you are done. Make all the options to “Yes”.
Hope the steps might help you in removing /index.php/ from the respective URLs.